Tesla’s advanced technology and heavy-duty batteries are just some of the main reasons why the company is leading the competition in the EV market.
Of all the technologies that make up every Tesla vehicle, the touch screen is the most important as it serves as the vehicle’s brain and everything must go through it.
The touch screen always grabs people’s attention the moment they enter the car. It is huge and takes up a big space on the dashboard.
While most electric vehicles are controlled by multiple computer processors, Tesla has only one CPU that controls everything — which is as important as its electric motors.
In this article, I will give you some of the best browser apps and web pages to maximize your Tesla experience.
The Tesla Browser
The Tesla web browser is a major part of the touch screen. It is standard in all Tesla vehicles, except the original Roadster. This means that the Model 3, Model S, Model X, and Model Y all have web browsers.
But the web browser can be limited and less enjoyable if you just rely on its default apps.
According to a report by TechCrunch, based on third-party research, the main reason why Tesla owners use browsers is to listen to the news, which accounts for 54% of the web traffic. The other 46% account for the use of other websites for navigation, mapping, finding charging spots, and streaming.
The Tesla browser is an OEM software that comes with the car. This means that you don’t have to pay anything to use it; however, not all its features are free to use, as some need Premium Connectivity.
Tesla’s Premium Connectivity is a paid feature that mostly has to do with entertainment like music and movie streaming and Internet browsing
As of this writing, the Premium Connectivity package costs $10/month per car, with an option for an annual plan that costs $99/year. You can switch from a monthly to a yearly plan and vice versa in the Tesla app by going to Upgrades and then tapping Manage.
Wi-Fi and cellular modem come standard in all Tesla models. Most features in your Tesla are free to use when connecting through a hotspot or your home connection.
However, browsing the Internet is not possible when there is no hotspot or home connection, and this is when you need Premium Connectivity.
The most important data features such as phone notifications, software updates, and navigation are included free in your Tesla and do not need Premium Connectivity.
Streaming services like Netflix, Disney+, YouTube, Slacker, and Spotify are included in the Premium Connectivity package. Keep in mind though that some of these services need a paid subscription. YouTube, for example, is free, but Netflix is paid. You don’t have to pay for Netflix if you have Premium Connectivity.
Other services included in the Premium Connectivity package are:
Find restaurants, interesting places, and charging spots. It can also be used by the passenger.
Tesla’s version of karaoke, which includes hundreds of songs and displays the lyrics on the screen. Great to use on par.
Satellite View Maps
Provide a more detailed view of satellite imagery instead of just terrains.
Live Traffic Visualizations
Provide road and traffic conditions.
To know more about this paid feature, visit our separate article here.
Best Tesla Browser Apps and Web Pages Recommended by the Community
The following apps are not included in Tesla’s Premium Connectivity. But if you already have Premium Connectivity, these apps are still useful to maximize your Tesla experience.
TesPlayer is an entertainment Tesla third-party browser app used to play Spotify in the Model 3, Model S, and Model X (assuming you don’t have Premium Connectivity). With TesPlayer, you can now manage Spotify playlists and play music directly from your vehicle’s touch screen.
To use TesPlayer, you must have firmware 2019.12.x and a Spotify Premium account. Then install the Spotify app on your mobile phone and connected to your Tesla’s Bluetooth.
How to Play Spotify Using TesPlayer
- Activate your mobile phone’s Bluetooth and pair it with your vehicle (Model 3, S, and X).
- On the upper right corner of your touch screen, click the Bluetooth icon and set the Media Source to your phone.
- Open the Tesla browser on the touch screen and go to https://tesplayer.com/ to launch TesPlayer. Make sure to bookmark the page for easy access.
- Log in to TesPlayer using your Spotify Premium account credentials.
- Once logged in, you can now access your favorite Spotify playlists and songs.
Check out YouTuber Tesla Raj’s video tutorial on the above setup process:
The TesPlayer app is free, but you need to have a paid Spotify subscription to play music.
Waze for Tesla
Waze is arguably the most popular navigation app used around the world, and Waze for Tesla is also the most popular among Tesla owners. It is compatible to use for the Model 3, S, and X.
How to Use Tesla Waze
Your car must be in Park Mode when doing the following steps:
- Open the web browser on your Tesla screen and type “Tesla Waze” in the search bar. Hit enter and click Tesla Waze on the search results. Click Allow.
- On the map, look for the gear icon (settings icon) in the lower-left corner and click it.
- Customize the settings based on your personal choices. Turn on necessary options like weather, traffic, etc. Click X to close when done. Click Allow, refreshing the page.
- Click the heart icon to add the page to your favorites so you won’t repeat the process the next time you open the app.
- Once you start driving the car, you’ll see your car moving on the map.
Follow this video instruction from the EveryAmp YouTube channel:
Waze is free to download and use for everyone, but phone and carrier data rates continue to apply.
PlugShare is a free app for EV drivers, available on iOS, Android, and the web, allowing users to find charging stations, leave reviews, and connect with other plug-in vehicle owners. It supports Models 3, S, and X.
PlugShare is probably the most important of all the browser apps on this list because its main focus is to provide you with information on the nearest charging stations to run your car.
It has a database of more than 140,000 all over the USA and Canada and global coverage of 330,000. With more than two million station reviews and charging station photos, it’s safe to say that you don’t need to worry about your Tesla losing power.
Drivers can find and pay for charging sessions directly through the PlugShare app. No membership fee is needed or recurring commitments. Users of PlugShare can see the options on the map if a charging station supports Pay with Plugshare.
- Any driver can pay through Pay with PlugShare even if he/she is not a member of the charging station’s customer group.
- The driver can see the charging progress through the app.
- The driver need not pay any service fee. The charging station also does not charge any additional fee.
- Pay with PlugShare accepts all major credit cards.
As of this writing, PlugShare uses the services of SemaConnect, Webasto, and selected WattStation chargers. The company reportedly plans to expand and collaborate with other networks in the future.
How to Use PlugShare
- Install PlugShare through Google Play Store on your Tesla screen and launch the app.
- If you’re at a charging station that supports Pay with PlugShare, tap the alert that appears at the bottom of the map.
- Review the pricing and station information and then tap Pay with PlugShare.
- Log in or sign up for a free PlugShare account.
The use of PlugShare is totally free.
A Better Route Planner
If you are looking for an app that can help you find the quickest way to your destination, look no other than A Better Route Planner (ABRP). As one of the favorites of many Tesla owners, it can be accessed directly through your touchscreen’s web browser, and also on Android and iOS smartphones.
ABRP provides many useful features and options that can give you the best itinerary with the shortest routes in the most efficient way.
ABRP specializes in itinerary planning and efficient route navigation for electric vehicles. In order to get a fast and complete planned route, all you have to do is to enter your vehicle’s model and your destination. By entering these details, you will get a fully planned route and other important details like travel duration and available charging stations on the way.
- Plan multiple trips on different dates and destinations
- It allows you to check the weather in advance on your planned schedule and destination. This can give you enough time to reschedule your trip is the weather is not favorable on your scheduled trip.
- Provide real-time tools needed for convenient and easy navigation.
- Specifically built for electric vehicles. The app understands how EVs are running so it can automatically adjust your itinerary in real-time when needed.
A Better Route Planner has more flexibility than Tesla navigation. I recommend this app due to its better supercharger strategy which gives you 20 minutes of time to find the nearest supercharger.AugieHess
The basic ABRP features will always be free. However, you can get many more benefits from the planner by upgrading to premium. The premium price is €5 a month or around $5.5 a month, with 14 days free trial.
TeslAA – Android Auto Over Tesla Browser
Android Auto is a new app that lets you operate Android directly through your Tesla touch screen. This means that everything that can be done on your Android phone is now possible to do on your Tesla touch screen.
Tesla’s touch screen is custom-made and powered by Linux, which means without a special app, it won’t work with Android. Now that Android Auto is available, Tesla owners can finally enjoy Android features without using their phones.
How to Use Android Auto
- On your phone, go to Google Play and install TeslAA.
- Once you have installed, connect your phone to the car via Bluetooth.
- Connect the car’s Wi-Fi to your phone’s hotspot and head over to www.androidwheels.com using the Tesla browser.
- Now you should see the Android Auto screen on your center console.
TeslAA costs $4.99 and can be downloaded from the Google Play Store.
These 3 rare upgrades can increase your range by as much as 13.3% – and few people know about them. Sign up below to learn more.
With continuous technological advancement, Tesla’s browser has improved a lot in the last couple of years.
And with the use of the above apps, your Tesla driving experience will surely be more enjoyable, safe, and hassle-free.